"Melody In Motion".
Act One.
"Melody In Motion" is a celebratory concert to celebrate 30 years of Act One in song and dance, and boy did the time fly by!
The pieces chosen for the concert represented some of the musicals and shows that Act One have put on over the 30 years as well as some pivotal and memorable pieces from the history of Act One, not from performed musicals. The choices also represent the current group's abilities and talents.
What I liked about this celebratory showcase was the mix of backing tracks and live music; the live band playing the backing for the vocalists while the recorded tracks for the dance sequences.
Normally, for me, the vocalist sections take preference over group dance slots but this production's dance sections really impressed me, and I think it was due to the music choices used for the choreographed pieces.
Let me run you through some of my personal highlights of "Melody In Motion"......
"Think Of me", from "Phantom Of the Opera" is a really difficult song for a performer of any age to perfect, but my did Katie Sturla send shivers up my spine with her rendition of this beautiful song. Absolutely note perfect with just the right amount of fragility and yearning.
The first of the choreographed pieces came next with Ike and Tina Turner's "Nutbush City Limits", one of my favourite rocky/pop numbers from their catalogue. I loved the Tina Turner moves and the energy put in by this group. The ensemble of the group were brillinat but, as always with me, I manage to spot one person from an ensemble who then catches my eye every time they then come on stage. My God, what a mover Arlen Panesar is. He dances as if he is the only person in the room the way that music flows through him. Even at the back of a group you feel the energy he puts into his dancing.
Arlen looks to be an all-rounder because he then participated in "Easy Street", showing off his vocal talents. His partners in crime Heather Fitzpatrick and Layla Adelakun also shone beside him in a brilliant take on the "Annie" classic. A fun and well matched trio.
I love the song "Electricity" from "Billy Elliot", and in this case sung by Leo Gilbert. What I loved about this performance was that Leo didn't just sing it, he included all of the nerves that Billy had from the musical, and gave that as well as a lovely vocal performance. Leo's also got some moves in him I noticed during the ensemble sections. Watch out Billy Elliot!
Seeing showcases and concerts always provide at least one educational spot for me, and in this one it was a couple of pieces, the first from the musical "Alice" and the song "It Must Be A Dream", sung by Freya Walshe, backed by Elizabeth, Emma O, Emma S, Etta, Grace S, Layla, May, Orla and Pollyanna.
The second musical education came with the following piece, again another that I had not heard until tonight, "I Never Met A Wolf That Didn't Howl" from "Smash", which was a choreographed piece presented by Act One ensemble.
Another couple of energetic dance sections to 5ive's "Keep On Movin'" and Shakira's "Zoo" brought us to the end of the first act with an ensemble vocal piece in "Don't Stop Believing", one of those pieces that created a landmark in the history of Act One.
Part two opened with another great dance section to a mash up of several of Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five's biggest hits, complete with silver shiny gloves for many of the dancers. There are some great moves in this one, which straight away got the energy moving, and not only on stage.
Evie Hancock gave us a gorgeous rendition of "Burn" from the musical "Hamilton", and while the subject of the song may not quite have been right for such a young lady like Evie, she did an incredibly good version of the song, packed with emotion. If Evie can bring those lyrics to life now, I can't wait to see if she gets the chance to perform it in a few years' time because she is going to blow everyone's socks off.
Another funky dance break to Bruno Mars' "I Just Might", with some more funkalicious choreography. These choreographed pieces are perfect for this age group and sometimes when I see younger groups showcases choreography, I have felt in the past that the songs are a little too old for the dancers, but in this concert every piece is do relevant to the age of the dancers, and I like that, and obviously these dancers have enjoyed learning the choreography.
Getting the audience clapping along to another great choreographed piece to "I'm A Believer" from "Shrek The Musical" was another wonderful choice.
Closing the concert was an all-time favourite song of mine from a musical. "Bring On Tomorrow" from "Fame The Musical". This also included some returning members from Act One from years gone by and made a lovely touching close to the show, not only bringing previous members to the stage, but for the sentiment in the words, to bring on the next 30 years of Act One.
There wasn't one piece on stage tonight that I did not enjoy, but if I mentioned every one of the 25 pieces, I'd be here for a long time, plus I have to leave a few surprises for you when you book your tickets for Saturday evening's repeat show, now don't I?
Here's the list of everyone who gave their all tonight on stage.....
Abigail Corns, Amy Tarrant, Arlen Panesar, Caitlin Fitzpatrick, David Mhlanga-Nkansah, Elizabeth Cutts, Emma Offiler-Russell, Emma Salter, Etta Brompton, Evie Hancock, Freddie Walshe, Freya Walshe, Grace Clarke, Grace-Ava Smith, Halo-Grace Smith, Harriet Spencer-White, Heather Fitzpatrick, Hermione Spencer, Isabel Lamb, Isla Cooke, Katie Sturla, Layla Adelakun, Leo Gilbert, Lexie Collins, May Brompton, Nellie McLennan, Orlagh Corbett, Pollyanna Field and Sienna Taylor.
A bunch of performers who have so much confidence in what they do, and an obvious love for performing as well.
The concert was staged and choreographed by Wendy Spencer. Additional choreography is by Helen Starkey, Danni Wilson and Shelly White.
Musical Director is Adrian Dobson, who led the quartet made up of Richard James (Guitar), Jake Shelton (Bass), Andy Shelton (Drums) and Adrian on (Keys).
The stage management for this non-stop concert was by Kevin Spencer.
Lighting was thanks to James Cladingboel and sound is by James White.
As I said earlier in the review, there's one more chance to experience these possible stars of tomorrow, tomorrow at 7pm.

No comments:
Post a Comment