Thursday, 27 August 2026

 "Rent" by Jonathan Larson.

Spotlight Theatre.
Squire Performing Arts Centre.

Set in the East Village of New York City, Rent is about falling in love, finding your voice and living for today. Winner of the Tony Award for Best Musical and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, “Rent” has become a pop cultural phenomenon. with songs that rock and a story that audiences of all ages can connect with.

Based loosely on Puccini's “La Boheme”, Jonathan Larson's Rent follows a year in the life of a group of impoverished young artists and musicians struggling to survive and create in New York's Lower East Side, under the shadow of HIV/AIDS.

The physical and emotional complications of the disease pervade the lives of Roger, Mimi, Tom and Angel. Maureen deals with her chronic infidelity through performance art; her partner, Joanne, wonders if their relationship is worth the trouble.

Benny has sold out his Bohemian ideals in exchange for financial gains, forgetting the bond with his former friends. Mark, an aspiring filmmaker, feels like an outsider to life in general. The way these young bohemians negotiate their dreams, loves and conflicts provides the narrative thread to this musical.

I've seen "Rent" several times before, and as I say quite a lot, a Director can add or take away, or change some of the storyline, which makes watching any show a treat for someone like myself who has seen other productions; this is no different with changes to a couple of the main characters, which I am sure will become apparent later in this review.

The vocals from every single performer are incredibly good. The various ranges of vocals are also excellent, both solo as well as in duets and big ensemble pieces. I do have my favourites but that takes nothing at all away from the power and vocal style from anyone else.

Roger is played by Vivialyn Joynson. The relationship with flat mate, Mark as well as the romance with Mimi were totally believable. Just the sort of person you could take to the pub for a pint. I think the last time I saw Vivialyn was in "The Wedding Singer", where I commented on what a strong rock voice she has. That rock voice is to the fore in this show, a soaring voice that will send shivers down your spine.

Mark is played by David Page. who comes across in his character as someone you can relate to while still being that struggling artist. A magical duet with Joanne in the wonderful "Tango Maureen", and brilliant choreography for this one as well. David's vocal ability is such that whoever he sings with becomes the perfect recipe for a smooth sound.

Tom is played by Patrick McChrystal. What can I say about this man's voice. Every one of that cast can sing. This man can REALLY sing. Absolutely dripping with raw emotion as he sang the reprise of "I'll Cover You". The hairs on the back of my neck stood to attention. Patrick has a large vocal range, which he showcased in this role.

Angel is played by Lu Anthony. I remember seeing Lu play this role previously in Stapleford where she high kicked her way into every audience members' hearts, and in BIG heels at that. She is fun, exciting, their dance moves are incredible, including one in particular that brought a tear to a lot of men's eyes, but Angel will break your heart in their final scenes. Talking of which, the lead up to that scene was very different from what I have seen before.

Mimi is played by Erin Hanby. Mimi is an overtly sexual being, and Erin brought that trait out right from the off with her double entendre laden song "Light My Candle". It wasn't just that candle flame that was hot on stage!

Maureen is played by Eliza Hill. For anyone who has not seen "Rent" previously, there's a scene where Maureen, an artist, performs her show which features plenty of Mooing from an imaginary cow included in the feature song "Over The Moon". This part comic song allows Eliza to showcase the range that she has in her vocal arsenal.

Joanne is played by Laura McChrystal. Loved Maureen and Joanne's duet of "Take Me As I Am", in fact it's one of my highlights in this production because Laura's and Eliza's vocals were out of this world powerful and passionate, oozing raw sex appeal, especially when their eyes met throughout the duet.

Jenny, or to give her full name, Jennifer Coffin III, the hard-nosed owner demanding rent for the property and cutting their electricity, is played by Laura Thurman; it's been an absolute age since I've seen Laura on stage. Every time that I have seen the show in the past, the character has always been Benny, so it made a real difference to see a switch in the gender, in fact the hard-nosed attitude at the start was even more intense and spiteful towards Jenny's former flatmates. It may be one of those roles in the borderline "baddie" category but I love the way this character evolves, and gives Laura a chance to show a different side to her acting skills.

A big ensemble section who invade the stage at times from all entrances, keeping the audience on their toes and providing more meat to this already tasty stew. They consist of Hermione Cumbers, Theo Carey, Madelyne Pritchard, Katie Boswell, Sophie Benner, Scarlett Coleman-Smith, Sophie West, Sophia Goncearenko, Helena Cave, Emily Holder, Preston Nash, Hemi Lewis, Jess Sims, Brogan Haynes, Beth Duffy, Hilary Booth, Daisy Donoghue, Bethany Boswell, Daniel Ivan and Lucy Carey.

Many of the above also gave cameo roles, but there are a few of the ensemble that I'd like to mention, without prejudice to the rest of the ensemble.

I've been lucky to review Preston Nash many times over the last four years or so. This is his last show for Spotlight before he goes down to London. In those years I've had the pleasure of seeing his talent grow, as well as his self confidence and stage presence.

I also wish to mention Brogan, who I first saw and reviewed back in 2019 in "The Sound Of Music". This young man is an absolute all rounder, a very capable vocalist, a natural actor and also a wonderful dancer. He looks so at home with any dance style, but what impressed me this evening was his contemporary and his ballet, He has lovely turned out hands and manages to make ballet look light and easy, which I know is a difficult look for a lot of male ballet dancers.

Daniel Ivan is such a convincing drug dealer; his whole look morphed into a sleazy, shady dealer with ease, his ability to create a dangerous look just by his facial features was quite frightening.

Hemi Lewis is another dancer who you are completely drawn to with her perfect balletic stature.

I think that I have seen and reviewed everyone in this cast over the years, and this show is like watching a collaborative greatest hits of my favourite young actors; the equivalent of a K-Tel collection of chart hits, a "Now That's What I Call A Perfect Cast" for the local musical theatre collection.

The soundtrack is one of my favourites, including the gorgeous and harmonious “Seasons Of Love” as well as “I Should Tell You”, “One Song Glory”, “Cover You”, “Without You”, “Maureen’s Tango”, "Santa Fe" and “Take Me Or Leave Me” being highlights, along with the rousing title song, “Rent”.

Vicky Moroziuk is the Musical Director who gives us some spine tingling moments in the show. Patrick's gorgeous and emotional "I'll Cover You" comes to mind, especially with the choral section part of the way through, as well as Vivialyn's "One Song Glory". "Seasons Of Love" is perfectly arranged and the high notes were all hit with ease. The harmonies sound angelic and have a lovely separation between the various parts. The individual ranges have been really well worked out and fit together like a tasty layer cake.

One thing I did notice in this production though is the gorgeous music behind this score which, without the vocals sound as if they were written by a classical composer, at times the music being quite fragile, strengthened by the lyrics.

The Youth Band members are Isabella Raisin-Moss (Bass), Noah Gamba and Josh Harrison-Bett (Drums), Austin Owen (Lead Guitar), Oscar Lambert-Smith (Rhythm Guitar) and Vicky Moroziuk (Keys). A powerful sound befitting of such a wonderful rock score.

Directed by Liam Petruccio-Hall. Liam has managed to bring out every bit of comedy and emotion from this wonderful musical and his super talented cast.

Choreographed by Bethany Wear. Two scenes in particular really stand out for me; the first being Maureen's performance scene in "Over the Moon" and the other being the full ensemble piece in the long "Santa Fe" scene which has some marvellous choreography. Angel's exciting and athletic choreography, especially in those heels, is breath taking.

The set design looks stunning and hits you as soon as you walk into the auditorium. Created to house the band into the set design with two sets of steps leading to second level. Set design is by Liam Petruccio-Hall and supplied by Oliver Read.

With the stage design being static, there's a fair bit of stage management required with props etc. Stage managed by Nigel Newton, and what Nigel doesn't know about this area of theatre is not worth knowing. Stage Crew consist of Dom Holder and Roman Moroziuk keeping everything running smoothly.

Props, and there are many of them, are sourced by Amanda Hall.

Costumes co-ordinated by Sophie Petruccio-Hall, they create the whole feel of Bohemia, but the piece de resistance being Angel's very eye-catching costumes.

Lighting Designer is Oliver Read. As with the cast, if you use the best, you get the best results, ergo Oliver Read and lighting.

Sound Designer is Rob Ketteridge. At first, I thought that the sound of the band was just a tad overpowering for the vocalists, but then, like Roger's guitar, you soon tune your ears to the overall sound and then realise that it's a tweaking of your ears is what is needed. Bronwen Webster is on Sound 2.

For Rent newbies and Rent-Heads alike, this is one show to see, not least for the incredibly talented cast and the gorgeous score. And if that's not reason enough, check if the 2-4-1 deal on all tickets for Friday evening is still available for you.

"Rent" is at Squire Performing Arts Centre until Saturday 29 August.

No comments:

Post a Comment