Thursday, 23 July 2026

 "Grease - The School Edition"

Gatepost Youth Theatre.
Marlpool URC, Heanor, Derbyshire.


This is one of my favourite musicals, just because of the feel-good factor every song evokes. I am sure that I don't need to tell you the story of Danny and Sandy either so we can just cut to the praise!

This is the first proper outing for Gatepost Youth Theatre, apart from a Christmas Concert last year, so I imagine nerves were quite high for all involved before the show.

You may be asking yourself, what is the difference between the fully fledged musical and the School Edition? There are several scenes that have been left out due to their "adult" content, and of course, you can't really stage a road race on the Turnpike, live on stage. 

Some of the song's lyrics have also been changed to "clean up" the content. I'm sure that everyone knows the soundtrack anyway so will know which lyrics have been cleansed.


The soundtrack is iconic with songs like "Summer Nights", "You're The One That I Want", "Greased Lightning", "Sandy", "Hopelessly Devoted To You" and "We Go Together". Some youth performances don't include the song "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" with the licence but it was included in this particular one, and I was so pleased because it is one of my favourite songs from the musical, and was sung with great feeling by Bella Radford. The licensing also doesn't include the title track, which is also strange, but that is all down to the writers of that particular song.

Danny Zuko is played by Isla Farrell. I don't think that I have ever seen a female playing Danny Zuko as Danny Zuko, but I like the way that Isla played the role as a more macho Danny, as opposed to how John Travolta played him as a bit of a thicko.

Sandra (Sandy) Dubrowski is played by Erika Needham. Sandy is no pushover, even at the beginning of the story, and is definitely not by the end. I loved the really tender version of "Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee" Sandy sings just before the big transformation, and Erika looked fantastic after her makeover, showing Danny and the others just who was boss! the slap she delivers near the end was brilliantly timed and delivered.


Kenickie is played by Paige Bone. Kenickie can also be a bit of a lanky goofball, which is probably why Zuko and Kenickie got on so well in the film. Paige didn't do goofball Kenickie, she played him as a wiseguy player, but one thing that both Paige and Kenickie do have in common is that they are both tall and slim.

Rizzo is played by Bella Radford. What feeling Bella put into Rizzo's song, and I loved the attitude she wore as armour for Rizzo's softer side.


Doody is played by Clara Hyland-Thomas; small in stature but BIG on personality, and so full of energy!

Frenchy is played by Evelyn Bridgwood. Another one of my favourite characters from the film.

Roger (Rump), the "mooner" of the show, is played by Jake Bavin and also plays Teen Angel, who sings another one of my favourite songs in the show, "Beauty School Dropout". Jake is a lovely character actor, and has the ability to act with his face as well as the rest of him. Loved his characterisation of "rump" and his version of "Mooning", as well as "Beauty School Dropout" showed off his vocal skills.


Sonny is played by Joseph Ross, who I think showed a few nerves at the start, but they seemed to disappear and the cheekiness of Sonny's character started to show via Joseph. You could tell just how much Joseph was enjoying this part as near the end, just before the new Sandy and Danny meet up, there's a line he delivers that really makes him smile and giggle.

The geeky Eugene is played wonderfully by Arthur Hyland-Thomas. Even if I hadn't got the show programme, as soon as he came on stage, I knew that he was going to be Eugene by the costume, glasses and haircut. The scene at the dance when he is chatting to Cha Cha is hilarious and he really gets into that geeky character brilliantly. 


Gracie Smith (Jan), Bella Nicholson (Marty) and Esmie Smith-Cockayne (Patty) played the rest of The Pink Ladies. Gracie is hilarious in the scenes with Roger, Bella is a fantastic dancer and Esmie really brings the enthusiasm as cheerleader Patty.

Miss Lynch is played by Ellie Hall. It can be quite difficult for a young person to take on a character who is so much older than themselves, but I really enjoyed Ellie's stiffness and sensibility that Miss Lynch has, which Ellie manages to convey so well.

The slimy rock n roll radio presenter with the tongue-twisty lines, Vince Fontaine, is played by Dan Bramley.

Cha Cha, who creates quite a stir at the hop is played by Amelia Tupenny. Brilliant scenes with Eugene made me grin.

The rest of the Rydell High students and Ensemble are played by Willow Kemp, Winter Rose Beeson and Ava Jones. 

Directed by Luke Grainger. This show is pacy and rolls along quite nicely, and all of the young actors looked as if they were having an absolute hop. Sorry that should be "ball". I can't remember if Luke has directed before but he has done a lovely job with this cast, as well as being part of the stage management team.


Choreographed by Jordan Neary, who also wore the Producer's cap and Set Designer's as well. Sometimes a set can really add to a production, and sometimes just the basic does just as well. The latter was the case here and I think everyone in the audience knows the film "Grease" so we didn't need to be told that we were on the playing field, at the hop, in a bedroom, because we all know where everything is on the timeline of this musical. Making the set minimalist was absolutely the right decision, plus it's another thing that the cast do not need to worry about.


Choreography wise, you just need to take a look at just how much energy and enthusiasm these young people put into the dancing to see just how well received the choreography was. It's fun to watch and I imagine fun to teach these youngsters, whose parents probably weren't even a twinkle in their parents' eyes when this film came out in 1978, never mind when the original musical came out in 1971.

The props said everything that were needed to know about the musical, and I love the car with the number plate of GR3A5E. Props were sourced or made by Jude Cliffman.

Musical Director is Christopher Collington, who also took on roles of Sound and Light Designer, along with his very talented Lighting Technician, Freddy Collington.

Costumes are by Jordan Neary and Lottie Lodge, and they all looked groovy, but they must have been so warm in the leather jackets in that Church Hall as there was no air conditioning. 

This fun musical is the one that you want to see on one of these warm and balmy summer nights. Let's face it there are worse things you could do than be entertained by this talented group, so hurry up as I heard that tickets are going like greased lightning. Take a friend and then you can go together, especially if your partner is hopelessly devoted to you, because then in the interval you can moon at each other.....ok I'll stop there.

"Grease The School Edition" is at Marlpool URC until Saturday 25 July. 

No comments:

Post a Comment