Wednesday 24 January 2024

 "Everybody's Talking About Jamie - Teen Edition" by Kristian Thomas Senior Youth Company.

Duchess Theatre, Long Eaton.

This musical has everything I hate; sexism, racism, bullying and homophobia. It also has everything that I love about a musical based on a real life story.
"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" is a coming-of-age stage musical with music by Dan Gillespie Sells and book and lyrics by Tom MacRae. The musical is inspired by the 2011 British television documentary "Jamie: Drag Queen at 16". The musical follows and is based upon the true-life story of 16-year-old schoolboy Jamie Campbell, as he overcomes prejudice and bullying to step out of the darkness into the spotlight and become a drag queen, and also gets to go to the school prom dressed how he wants to dress.
You have to admire a young person who wants to change the way people see certain things and fights for what they believe is right, breaking down prejudices along the way.
The "Teen Edition" is a full-length adaptation of the musical, modified for performance by teen actors. Specifically, vocal ranges and some elements have been adjusted for younger performers, but when it comes down to it, I couldn't think of anything that was omitted from the non teen edition.

I have come to expect that any show put on by Kristian Thomas Company is the canine's appendages - Sandra knows what I mean - and yet again, they have proved me to be correct - I'm not often wrong; the last time being March 10 2016. This show is a match for both touring versions of "Jamie" that I've seen. The energy is boundless and catching, the singing is practically perfect, the emotions bounce from one end of the scale to the other, and I revelled in every single moment of this production. Okay, that's the short version, and now here's the long.......

The role of Jamie New is shared between two young actors Kole Darby and Max Fuller. On Wednesday night I saw Max, who has gone from being part of the ensemble in KTco's last show "Sweet Charity" to being the main man - who sometimes likes to be a girl.
This is a massive role that shot Layton Williams to superstardom, and Max just made this role his own, as he did when he played Angel in KTco's "Rent". The singing, the attitude, the character, the swag and those heels! I have a pair of cowboy boots with a two inch heel which I can just about walk in a straight line in. Max, and I imagine Kole as well, have put in quite a few hours wearing those killer heels we see in the show to make sure that they are able to strut around the stage in, and look FABULOUS in them.

Jamie's Mum, Margaret, is played by Sylvie Cole, a young actor who I've not seen on stage for about seven years if I remember correctly. Oh, where have you been hiding that voice? So full of emotion and control. I absolutely adore the song "He's My Boy" and Sylvie's voice, when she sung this, just gave me tingles and brought a tear to my eye. An emotional and very human performance throughout, so please don't leave it so long until I get to hear that voice again, Sylvie.
Ray is Margaret's best friend and supporter of Jamie and his life decisions, and is played by Mia Matthews. There is a visible chemistry between Ray, Margaret and Jamie which I love; always there for both mother and son, especially when the call from school came through regarding prom night.

Pritta Pasha, who is Jamie's bestie, is another shared role, played by Grace Collishaw and Isabelle Bambrick. I saw Grace on Wednesday night. Grace I've seen before so I knew what a class performance I was in for. Grace has been in many of my favourite shows over the last few years and this role just raised the bar another notch. I've commented in the past about Grace's voice being one I could listen to forever, and when she sang "Beautiful", she cemented that feeling once more for me. Pritta is picked on by the school bully and receives some extremely nasty comments, but she gets her own back in the second act, and you should have heard the reaction from the audience when that happened.

Miss Hedge, the career teacher at school is played by Hannah Pettit. I don't think I've seen Hannah previously, and I apologise if that is not the case, but she fits in perfectly with this ridiculously talented company. Not only is she a wonderful actor but hearing her rapping in "And You Don't Even Know It" was brilliant.
Hugo/Loco Chanellle is played by Harrison West, another new name to me, and another young star that made my jaw drop with his singing. He has just the right amount of vibrato and control, and his story telling in "The Legend Of Loco Chanelle" is hypnotic. When in drag, he looks amazing and very comfortable for one so young.

Dean Paxton, Jamie's bully is played by Jake Lightbown, who I last saw onstage in "Rent". Dean is an obnoxious human, the sort you want to punch. Jake, on the other hand, is a very talented actor and to evoke these feelings for a character is a tribute to this young actor's talents. Dean was never gonna win an argument with Jamie because the characters are on a different cerebral level.
Jamie's Dad is disgusted and disappointed in how Jamie had turned out and made no bones about telling Jamie so. He is played by someone who I have a lot of time for, Louis Barnes-cupit. This is a change in role for Louis as I've only seen him play nicer characters, but he really gets into the role and creates the same feelings for Jamie's absent parent as you get for Dean. Louis also doubles up as Mickey, one of the pupils.

I absolutely loved the roles of Becca and Bex, played by Lydia Gajic and Felicity Holman respectively. The characters are fun and cheeky and Lydia and Felicity brought that out brilliantly.
A special mention must also be given to Ben Hale (Laika Virgin), Will Matthews (Sandra Bollock) and Harrison Ince (Tray Sophisticay), the three, not so lady-like, Drag Queens at the Legs 11 Club, and Libby Taylor (Vicki), Miles Potter (Levi) and Lola Wania (Frankie).
The large ensemble who helped create that special energy on stage are Billie-Jo Neale, Eve Lumley, Freya Thomas, Grace Kolasa, Hannah Ford, Hannah Pattinson, Holly Brownhill, Izzy Gallagher, Joe Stewart, Katie Freer, Lottie Ludlow, Lucy Shuttleworth, Macie Barrington, Maisie Denney, Meagan Hadfield, Nora Welham, Pip Blackman, Scarlett Williams and Tessa Clover.

Directed by Katy Maclaughlin. There is nothing more Katy could possibly have done to make this production any better. Perfection in every way.
Musical Director is Sam Hedley. The cast and their vocal performances pay enough tribute to Sam's role as an MD. They were emotive. They were fun. They were energetic. They were perfect. Sam did the perfect job.
The soundtrack holds so many brilliant and catchy tunes, and credit for the cast because it's not the easiest to perform, the title track being a perfect example due to the various parts for various actors and the speed of the song. As I've said, my favourite is "He's My Boy" but I also love "If I Met Myself Again", "The Wall In My Head", "Spotlight", "Limited Edition", "Ugly In This Ugly World" and "Out Of The Darkness".

Choreographed by Kristian Cunningham. There are some big choreographed pieces in "Jamie" but every one was as impressive as the touring productions I've seen. As with the singing, the cast exhibit their agility in the dance department, which is a fitting tribute to their choreographer.
Sound design is by Dave Dallard and Jack Clark. They both match the above creatives' work because the sound was perfect. I'm sorry I couldn't find anything to moan about in this area. Dave and Jack, you have defeated my often negativity in this department and delivered the perfect sound design.
Lighting design is by Stephen Greatorex and is absolutely spectacular. Perfect seems to be the word for this show, and I do not use that word without real intent, but in all areas of this production "perfect" is the word that sums everything up.

Another thing that sets this show apart from many is the staging, and I have not seen this done in the way that it was staged tonight. From the main stage there is a catwalk section leading into where the raked seating is normally. Seats are arranged on both sides of the catwalk so as to not lose the seating capacity, and let's face it, they need all the seats they can because every night is a sell out. This staging, by A Stage For Hire, means that the cast have a greater performance area and creates a new, exciting vision for the Duchess Theatre audiences this week.
There's a scene where Jamie is attacked, and I must commend the fight choreography because it looked and sounded very real, it actually made me wince when Jamie took a punch to the face.

I love it as well when accents are used, and the Sheffield accent was - and here's that word again - perfectly delivered. There was no straying from the regional accent and every actor was strong in its' delivery.
And finally, the costumes, wigs and make up. I think I can sum that area up with one seven letter word. Perfect.
It's a show with mature themes, performed by a very mature and talented cast, and if you can get a ticket for this show, I strongly recommend you get one because the entertainment and emotional value of this production is through the roof. Everything you'd expect for a Kristian Thomas production.
"Everybody's Talking About Jamie - Teen Edition" is at The Duchess Theatre in Long Eaton until Saturday 27 January.

No comments:

Post a Comment