Saturday 14 January 2023

 "Zak Scott & Friends - Role Of A Lifetime"

Duchess Theatre, Long Eaton.

First of all, let me say that I hate this group of young people on the stage tonight. They are good looking, they can sing, they have more talent in their little finger nails than I have in my whole body, and they are all so smooth. Don't you just hate young people who house this much talent? Ok, I'm kidding!
If you've ever seen a travelling theatre show called "Through The Barricades", which is a bunch of West End performers who travel the country and perform songs from the musicals, well this is the same as that show, at a fraction of the price of the "Through The Barricades" touring show.
Sara, Ella, Richard, Millen, Kate, Louise, Erin and Zak seamlessly took centre stage and enthralled their audience with a selection of songs from musical theatre; some well known, some not so well known; all perfectly executed.
There were teasers for upcoming shows at the Duchess, like the opener, "Dare" from "Calendar Girls", which was the weakest link for me, mainly because there were no microphones for the singers, and the words were lost after the first few rows. After this though, the performers had hand held microphones and we heard every single syllable. The clarity was spectacular and every nuance from the wonderful lyrics were heard right to the back of the theatre.
We were treated to selections from "Waitress", "Les Miserables", "Little Shop Of Horrors", "Hamilton", "Dear Evan Hansen", "Jesus Christ Superstar", "Follies", "We Will Rock You", "Beetlejuice", "Love Never Dies", "Amelie", "Merrily We Roll Along" and many more.
This collection of performers gave my follicles a workout tonight, not knowing when to stand on end and when to relax. Richard's performance of "Till I Hear You Sing" from "Love Never Dies"showcased his wonderfully operatic voice. He then countered with the fun "You'll Be Back" from "Hamilton", and I loved the Evan Hansen/Hamilton mash up of "You Will Be Loved/Tonight" duet with Zak.
Millen's "Somebody To Love" from "We Will Rock You" - another musical that will be performed at the Duchess Theatre in the near future - showed her control and power in her vocals. Her duet with Zak on "Suddenly Seymour" from "Little Shop Of Horrors" showed their wonderful harmonies and timing.
It's always an education at events like these and I always end up coming away with songs that I end up searching for at home. Tonight it is a piece performed by Louise called "Altos Lament" from something called "The Marcy & Zina Show" (yes, me neither), but it was so funny and performed so well by Louise.
Kate and Louise performed a note perfect version of "For Good" from "Wicked", and we heard more from that musical with Richard and Sarah's version of "As Long As You're Mine".
One of my musical theatre guilty pleasures is the song "Losing My Mind", which Liza Minnelli had a chart disco hit with backed by The Pet Shop Boys, but Kate's version of that song gave me goosebumps. Her passionate and emotive rendition really brought out the fragility of "Follies" most well known song. The irony was not lost on me with this year's chosen charity for this concert was YoungMinds who work with young people with mental health issues.
Zak, as many people will know, is one of my favourite performers; the only person I have seen to receive two standing ovations in one production of "Les Miserables" at Derby Theatre. "She Used To Be Mine" from "Waitress", "Out There" reprised his Quasimodo role last year at the Nottingham Theatre Royal in "Hunchback", "Waving Through A Window" from "Evan Hansen", "Role Of A Lifetime" from one of the emotional musicals I've ever seen, "Bare - A Pop Musical" all shone a virtual spotlight on that voice that he has been nurturing for well over a decade.
David Allen kept the show rolling as MC for the night and providing a selection of jokes. Being a cmpere is not easy - I know, I've been there - but David's relaxed manner and his compendium of jokes won over the audience, not that they needed any winning over.
This is the ninth year that he has hosted "Zak & Friends", 2024 will see the tenth; and I can remember him saying after the first show, "never again", well that certainly came back to bite him on the bum.
Zak has amazingly talented friends who give up their time to support him, the show and entertain us, all for free. The sound and light team likewise. A wonderful light show and, after the first song, the sound was as clear as crystal cut glass.
After Zak's final closing solo song, I spotted a smile on his face as he left the stage. A smile that confirmed that he knew that the night had been a success, and he was right to allow himself that self-satisfied smile. I only wish that after the final group song, "Louder Than Words" from "Tick Tick Boom", which is also being performed at the Duchess in the coming months, they had all returned to the stage as I was so poised to get to my feet to show my appreciation of the talent that was on show on Saturday night.
This show is how all showcases should be done, and it's also raised a lot of money for a brilliant charity.
Thank you Zak and friends for a wonderful evening of superb music and entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment