Tuesday 14 June 2022

 "Derren Brown - Showman"

Nottingham Theatre Royal


Derren Brown has asked me not to reveal anything about the show that he is performing in at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. Well, that makes it all sound very chummy, as if he has asked me personally not to say anything in my review; but no! he did ask every person in the theatre, at was packed to the rafters, not to reveal anything. Therefore this review is going to be the easiest, yet the hardest theatre show to tell you about.

Derren Brown is a master of illusion, I didn't want to upset other illusionists and magicians that I just happen to know, but he is rather good at what he does, and he knows how to put on a show, making him one of the greatest showmen on stage. The title of the show is therefore deserved.

I was talking to another well known illusionist at the weekend and I stated that, much as the inquisitive side of me really wanted to know how these illusions and magic tricks were carried out, another part of me didn't want to know as that would spoil the reveal and remove the magic from the illusion. "Showman" Derren Brown quite simply bamboozled me again, as I know there was no way that he would know the things that he revealed on stage, but he did! How? Why? Who cares? We all love to be "tricked" and bamboozled - don't you just love that word?


There is one section where..... of fiddlesticks, I so want to tell you the bit which really made me doubt my own sanity, but I can't. Let's face it you wouldn't want to upset Derren Brown, would you? Who knows where it could end up?

All I can really say is that you will leave the Nottingham Theatre Royal quite simply amazed by what you see, or think you see, and will doubt your sanity by everything on stage in this two hour, mind boggling piece of theatre.


Don't even try to apply logic as that won't work, just sit back, or stand up when told to, follow orders and drink in the spectacle of this incredible show.

So, there you are; my shortest ever review which has told you absolutely nothing about what goes on. At least I am safe from the all seeing eye of Mr Brown!

"Derren Brown - Showman" is at the Nottingham Theatre Royal until Saturday 18 June. You'd be a fool to miss this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment