Wednesday 18 August 2021

 “Grease - The Musical”

Nottingham Theatre Royal

“Grease” was due to tour in 2020 but had to be postponed due to Covid-19. You may find some differences in this musical to the original 1978 film starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John. Here it is set in Mid West America and Danny Zuko is part of The Burger Palace Boys, not the T-Birds. Sandy is American as opposed to Australian, and the whole feel is more urban and gritty than the candy floss feel of the film. There are also a few additional songs added to the production.
That said this musical is still amazingly good fun and everyone knows the complete soundtrack in full. “Summer Nights”, “You’re The One That I Want”, “Sandy”, “Hopelessly Devoted To You”, "Greased Lightning", “Grease”, “Beauty School Drop Out” and my favourite “There Are Worse Things I Could Do”.

Dan Partridge reprises the role of Danny, having played the role on the UK and Ireland tour in 2019. Dan's version of Zuko is less "goofy, grease-ball" and more high school jock, which I think I like as he gives Zuko more character.
Georgia Louise plays Sandy, and again, slightly less fluffy and twee and more like a normal High School girl, I imagine would act. Georgia also has a very powerful voice. just as well so that she could out sing the hen night karaoke team, who thought it was "Grease Singalong", that were in tonight!

Paul French as Kenickie, who was the more "meatball" character in the production, but it did suit Kenicke to be less bright than the Burger Palace Boys leader, Zuko.
Tendai Rinomhota as Rizzo. Now Rizzo for me was always the more aloof female character, but this production depicted her more streetwise bitchy, and I am not sure if that worked for me, especially when we discovered that she may have been pregnant, as if it was something that she wouldn't do as she was better than the others. That aside though, she gave us a powerhouse version of "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" which gave me tingles.

They are joined by Alex Christian as Doody, Josh Barnett as Roger, Inez Budd as Marty, Maeve Byrne as Jan, Marianna Neofitou as Frenchy, Corinna Powlesland as Miss Lynch and Cristian Zaccarini as Sonny.
Peter Andre plays a brilliant Teen Angel and Vince Fontaine. He did not play either role seriously, both characters slightly camped up, but not over the top, pure fun. I loved his Vince Fontaine as he really captured the American speed-talk DJs perfectly, and I have not seen anyone do that, as good as Mr Andre did it. He nailed that form of DJ Presentation. as Teen Angel, again played with added twinkle and his exit from the set was perfectly in character.

Directed by Nikolai Foster, he has taken it back to the original early 70's original version, which is why Kenickie sings "Greased Lightning" as opposed to the film version where Danny Zuko belts it out. There is that air of pent-up sexual tension, from both sides, not just the boys, mainly from the boys but also with the ladies as well, again giving this version more reality to High School teenage life of the late 50's.
Choreographed by Arlene Phillips, Ms Phillips encapsulates the whole feel of the 1950's, all the signature moves are there. It's fast and furious and precise.

My only niggle in this production that sometimes the volume for the mics could have been a little higher and some of the diction was not as sharp as it could have been. The accents were great but sometimes the accent overtook the diction and some words and phrases were lost.
Apart from that I loved this production. A production that takes you back to how "Grease" was back in its' original form and the addition songs also work well with the storyline and feel of the story. I loved the pace of the show. I loved the style. I loved the set design with the DJ booth overlooking everything on stage and central. I loved the new arrangements of the songs. I loved the colourful lighting design. In fact I loved it all.
It's one of those musicals that will be loved by everyone who goes to see it, even with the reduction of candy floss fluffiness.
“Grease” is at the Nottingham Theatre Royal until Saturday 21 August

No comments:

Post a Comment