Thursday 8 July 2021

 “Camp Rock” by Erewash Musical Society Youth Group

Duchess Theatre, Long Eaton.


I’ll admit that I have never seen this musical before so I had no expectations of what to expect, although I have listened to the soundtrack. I deliberately did not watch the film or seek it out on Youtube as I wanted this production to be what I base my first experience of the show on. And I was pleased that I did
Camp Rock is the ultimate camp for aspiring musicians. This summer at camp was supposed to be all about the music and having the time of their lives, but the new, flashy Camp Star across the lake now threatens Camp Rock’s very existence. To keep the doors open, Michie steps up, rallies her fellow Camp Rockers, and gets them into top shape for the ultimate showdown!
Throw into the mix a rekindled love story between Mitchie Torres and the lead singer of hit boyband Connect Three, Shane Gray, plus deep rivalry between Brown Cessario and ex band mate Axel Turner, who has set up Camp Star, plus two singing divas Tess Tyler and Luke Williams, and this show becomes an explosion of music and lights... and a few fireworks (not literally).
I think that I can honestly say that for such a young cast, the singing was spectacular, and I don't know if that is because the show and soundtrack is aimed direct at this particular age group or what. That said, some of these songs were complicated with some of the key changes and ranges and everyone stepped up to the mark vocally. the vocal acrobatics were kept to a minimum which kept the singers in tune.
Francesca Foster (Mitchie Torres) has a really strong voice and these songs suit her down to the ground. In a few years time, she is going to have an amazing singing voice. When she duets with Gabryl Oleshko (Shane Gray) they sound really good together. That said Gabryl has a very strong voice himself, and I can see the same for Gabryl as I foresee for Francesca, especially with the proper vocal training.
Making up the trio of Connect Three are James O Boyle (Nate Gray), who's highlight for me was "Introducing Me", which would not sound out of place on a McFly album, and the other Gray was played by William Robbins (Jason Gray). Together they make a convincing boyband who sound good together.
I adored the fierceness of Rosey Mallins ( Caitlyn Geller), she has sass by the bucketload!
Alice Renshaw (Tess Tyler) makes the perfect diva who reflects her male counterpart diva in Joel Dawson (Luke Williams)
Sky Stacey (Brown Cessario) is wonderful as the Camp Rock leader and Amelia Kram (Axel Turner) makes a worthy rival in the separate camps, both determined to win as the bitterness from the split from the band 15 years earlier reared its' ugly head.
I also loved the cheekiness of Harry O Boyle (Barron James).
The whole cast worked as a whole and looked like a well-oiled machine. The rest of the cast were Amy Dawson ( Margaret Dupree), Emma Foster (Ella Pador), Eleanor Cooper (Rosie Day), Ewan Hoole (Sander Loya), Katie Fitzpatrick (Andy Hosten), Elin Haycock (Lola Scott), Sinead Walsh (Dana Turner) and Niamh Massey (Georgina Farlow). All worthy of a mention.
It was also great to see Gabryl, James and William playing guitars and drums on stage. Kudos to all three.
The live band, also on stage sounded great, Chris Renshaw (MD and guitar), Dave Dallard (Keyboards), Rob Holsman (guitar), Kev Maltby (bass) and Phil Holland (percussion/drums). The mix between the band and vocalists matching most of the time, as there were a couple of moments when the mics for the vocals needed upping just a tad, nothing to detract from the all-round mix though. The sound guys were Dave Dallard and Harvey Tavener.
The soundtrack has several incredibly catchy tunes and you will not leave that theatre without having some of them going around your head. Songs like "It's On", "Can't Back Down", "Tear It Down" and "Introducing Me" will be your new earworms for the next week or so. I defy you to keep your feet still to this music!
The lighting (Dave Martin) was possibly one of the snazziest I have seen for a while, not only on stage but the length of the steps leading up to the stage. It gave the feeling of a concert performance.
The choreography was sensational, and I am so pleased that choreographer Abigail Lagou didn't go down the easy route, because some of these pieces were not as easy as they looked. A job well done and I can bet she was a very proud lady after tonight's show.
And finally we come to the Director. This was the debut as solo Director for Hayden Fletcher and he did a wonderful job. I have been watching Hayden on stage for quite a few years now and love chatting to him, as I did after the show tonight, and knew from when I first saw him perform in "Out There" years ago, that he was going to have a future on, and off stage. It's his passion for what he does, and that passion spills out in this production. I know that he also is a very proud young man tonight, and he deserves that pride because his cast and crew have not only done themselves proud, they have done Hayden proud.
There was only one thing that I could mention, and that was that a couple of times there was a bare stage where the stage managers could tighten up on entrances, but I know how small the wings are at the Duchess and with such a large cast, I'm putting it down to that. We are talking seconds her by the way and possibly went un-noticed by the rest of the adoring crowd.
Many people will draw similarities between "Camp Rock" and "High School Musical". Let me tell you, this is the better of the two as I found HSM slightly twee. This has more substance and better songs.
A brilliant, feel good musical that welcomes EMUS back to the stage, and I loved one of the first lines spoken mentioning that it was good to be back after the last year. How apt was that for an opening gambit? Oh and we also get to see some of the rehearsals via the big screen on stage.
To gauge a reaction on how well this musical was received, you just needed to listen to the roars of the applause during "Camp Rock Megamix" which closed the show.
“Camp Rock” is at the Duchess Theatre, Long Eaton until Saturday 10 July.

No comments:

Post a Comment