Thursday 20 February 2020

"A Heart To Love" by Bear Left
Bonington Theatre, Arnold.
I have some bad news for all who read my reviews on her or through my review blog site. You've missed the chance of seeing a damn good, and slightly alternative take on some of Shakespeare's Greatest Hits.
Nine of Shakespeare's plays with a "love" theme plus a couple of sonnets have been chosen to spotlight scenes are what this evening is made up of.
My favourite comedy "A Midsummer Night's Dream" has three scenes. They are played out, complete with accents and the final section, which is the Mechanicals play, is excellent,and done very different to any that I have seen before. Think "Acorn Antiques" Vs Shakespeare and that is similar to what we saw on Thursday Night. An ingenious pairing with brilliant accents and falling wall, props that didn't work as they should. Love Love Love this idea and would also love to see Bear Left do this in full with the same cast and the same outlook.
We also got to see a section from "Henry IV" with Prince Hal ( or should that be Prince Harry?) as a party animal getting a call on his mobile from his father. Again a wonderfully wacky version of this scene.
"Henry VI - part one" gave us a battlefield scene and the conversation between the Mother and son fighting the same battle.
"Hamlet" was another straight piece, and very powerfully done, going to show that this group are perfectly able to present Shakespeare in its' purest form, as well as being able to have fun with the script.
Also in with the first section was a wonderfully comical and funky choreographed dance piece to Sonnet 18, "Shall I Compare Thee To A Summer's Day" which drew a round of applause form the eager audience.
Come the interval, which I couldn't to get out of the way because I really couldn't wait for what was to come, having so enjoyed the first section. They opened with a scene from "Henry V" where Henry had won the war and was asking for the hand in marriage of Katherine, with some lovely comedy language elements.
"Love's Labour's Lost" was what you'd expect from a University scenario in Shakespeare's day with four students, stating that they wanted nothing to do with love but then discovering about the secret odes, dedicated to their loves.
There was no messing around with the "Romeo & Juliet" scene. Another faithful presentation in the scene where Romeo has just spent the night with Juliet and has to leave. Neither want to tear themselves away form each other. Tenderly done with real emotion between Sally and Mark, who were playing the two lovers.One of my favourite scenes in Thursday's show.
"Macbeth" has always been my favourite tragedy, and I've found that much as I love the playing around with a script, I've always preferred the straight, no nonsense drama of this piece. Bear Left decided to do this as it should be presented, as a very dramatic piece, so thank you for keeping the faith with this one.
Then something that I knew was coming but, and I'll tell you the truth, i did not expect this to be as brilliant as it was. Another choreographed piece to Sonnet 128. A gorgeously sultry rumba, which I believe was choreographed by John Gill and executed with great passion by four of the cast. A lovely surprise which highlighted Sally as a really good dancer, and she looked amazing in the dress she wore for the dance. I hope she won't mind me saying but she has great legs and should show then off more.
The whole cast, who played several parts each, worked so hard and it always surprises me that Bear Left do not get a larger audience because they put on some wonderful pieces of theatre, deserving of big audiences to witness the quality they produce.
Arun Hayes adds comedy to the cast with his parts,and also reveals himself as a pretty good dancer as well.
Samantha Hedley and Rosanne Priest, I am sure I have not seen before but they are excellent in everything that they present here.
Claire Waterall, I know from other productions, so I knew to expect quality, and that's what I got.
Sally Nix shows off her comic, as well as her straight Shakespeare background in theatre; both are well contrasted, and both suit her talents. And as I said earlier in the review, i didn't realise what a lovely dancer she is. A light that she had kept well and truly hidden under her bushel!
Sally also directed this piece of theatre, and she got the balance spot on, and I know I keep going on about this but I really wish more theatre goers would discover Sally and her Bear Left productions and support them by buying their tickets. You really are missing out on quality on a budget price ticket.
Finally, another newish name to me in the form of Mark Wisdom. Mark has a real flair and a natural feel for Shakespeare. The speeches just roll off of his tongue, like a second language. Like the others, he can do comedy as well as serious Shakespeare, with proficiency.
I have seen actors, and not necessarily Shakespeare, who are brilliant at straight acting but fail to deliver comedy, and vice versa, but this young group have both nailed and you feel extremely comfortable watching all of them.
I started off the review by saying that this was bad news, and it is because this show is a one off for Thursday Night only. If you didn't buy tickets, well tough, you've missed an incredibly good evening of some of the best of Shakespeare,presented by a group who love his plays and have a really solid background in his style of play, be it comedy or tragedy, or whatever style.
You missed out! Make sure you don't miss their next show which is "Treasure Island" on 14th and 15th April, also at Bonington Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment