Wednesday 13 June 2018



“Macbeth”
Nottingham New Theatre.
This shows the complete range the Nottingham New Theatre present. Not only do this group put on their own productions, little known gems and modern classics, they can also pull off full scale literary classics like this
Now you don’t need me to tell you the story of Shakespeare’s greatest tragedy play, so I’ll get right down to the nitty gritty.
This is probably the best version of this play that I have seen for several reasons that I'll now expand on.
This play is over three hours long but it's such a brilliant piece of writing and the staging of "Macbeth" had been done so cleverly that I didn't notice the time.
You walk in and straight away the set takes your breath away. At first it looked like one of those big snow domes without the snow but a semi circle shaped mirror wall. The stage mist and the lighting created an air of doom and menace, which lasted all the way through, which is so right for this play. I don't think this initial atmosphere I've experienced in any other production before.
Director Ed Wiseman-Eggleton is the man responsible for this atmosphere and the incredible staging and with this being his last play for NNT, he has certainly succeeded in being remembered and going out with a bang, this man is really something special as this play is no walk in the park.
Grace Lievesley is a wonderful Producer and she, like Ed and the crew have created such an amazing piece of theatre, I know they must be so proud of.
Ed's tech team have certainly done him, NNT and themselves proud as well. possibly one of the biggest tech team I've seen for the one production, so without mentioning everyone involved, can I just say what an amazing job you've done. My mouth was more open than closed for those three hours.
With the cast, every single actor produced incredible and powerful performances, and you know when you feel so comfortable with a cast that you just sit back and watch; that's what I felt.
Dave Porter (Macbeth), Leonora Hamilton-Shield (Lady Macbeth), William Tillett - who's grandmother who I was talking to in the interval said that I had to mention how handsome he was - (Banquo/Menteith) his physical performance as Banquo's ghost was hypnotiising, Alex Piechowski(Macdfuff) who delivered an incredibly passionate performance when he had learned that his wife and children had been slaughtered. Luke Slater (Malcolm), George Waring (Duncan), Jack Linley (Ross), Boo Jackson(Lennox/Daughter), Sophie Curtis (Lady Macduff) just WOW!. Jazmine Greenaway also was busy playing several roles.
Sam Morris, Emma Pallett and Angharad Davies were the three witches and their make up and physicality really needs a special mention, because you could not take your eyes off of the three of them. I suspect as well they may be giving me nightmares so impressive is their make up and jerky movements. Think of films liker "The Ring" and that is the atmosphere they project.
Withe the amazing set (Joe Strickland), the lighting design (Zoe Smith) and the music (Tara Anegada Prasad) this play was like "Game Of Thrones" Vs William Shakespeare because it had such a modern feel without detracting from the classic writing of the Bard.
Look, I could go on and on about just how much I loved this production, but to understand how good this group of people are, how incredible this production is, and what a fantastic theatre the university have, please, just go and book a ticket, or two, or three or four, Here is a hidden gem of a theatre group who over the many seasons I've had the pleasure of seeing so many excellent shows with so many excellent actors, directors, producers,stage managers etc etc etc.
This is the final production of this season and i can't wait for the next one.
“Macbeth” is performed at the Nottingham New Theatre until Friday 15 June 2018.You will regret not seeing this version, I promise you!

No comments:

Post a Comment