Friday 12 July 2019

“Sister Act” by Spotlight Theatre Company
Nottingham Playhouse
“Sister Act” is the feel-good musical smash based on the hit 1992 film Featuring original music by Tony, and eight-time Oscar winner, Alan Menken (Newsies, Beauty and the Beast, Little Shop of Horrors), this uplifting musical was nominated for five Tony Awards, including Best Musical.
When disco diva, Deloris Van Cartier, witnesses a murder, she is put in protective custody in the one place the cops are sure she won't be a found: a convent! Disguised as a nun, she finds herself at odds with both the rigid lifestyle and uptight Mother Superior. Using her unique disco moves and singing talent to inspire the choir, Deloris breathes new life into the church and community but, in doing so, blows her cover. Soon, the gang is giving chase, only to find them up against Deloris and the power of her newly found sisterhood.
Filled with wonderful music, outrageous dancing, “Sister Act” leaves you feeling euphoric. I left the theatre feeling like I'd been plugged in to a charger for the last two hours, practically skipping to the bus stop, I felt so energised by this production
Grace Hodgett-Young (Deloris), well what can I say? I could just say "WOW" but why say one word when a hundred would suffice. I can remember seeing Grace a few years ago on the Nottingham Arts Theatre stage and loving her confidence and her voice. Skip forward a few years and here she is blowing the roof off the Playhouse with that incredible voice she has. Grace has swag and attitude and this part fitted her so well, and that applause she received on her final bows rose by decibels, and she deserved every single second. And can I also say that she looked fabulous in those wonderful costumes.
Lizzie Fenner (Mother Superior) swaps one powerful woman (last week as Roxie Hart in "Chicago") for another woman with power. Lizzie channelled her inner Julie Andrews for the clipped and oh so proper accent, and her voice is just so clear and controlled, And that worked so well in the song "I Haven't Got A Prayer" because you heard every word and every comical line in that song it really is heavenly.
Holly Neil (Sister Mary Robert) is another woman with an incredible voice. Sister Mary Roberts big song, and I do mean BIG, is "The Life I Never Led" and she gave me goosebumps with the high notes in there. It was not the only time Holly gave me goosebumps with her singing in this show. Her powerful vocals soared.
Laura Thurman (Sister Mary Patrick) oozes fun with this role, again perfectly cast, and once again a powerful voice with an infectious smile.
Kimberley Allsopp (Sister Mary Lazarus), so full of mischief and fun, so who else would be playing this role? Only Kimberley.
Mike Pearson (Monsignor O'Hara). Normally I see Mike on stage in a frock, so this is a slight departure, and it's great to see Mike in such a lovely role. O' Hara's facial expressions when the Nun's choir emerge after Deloris has been working with them was a joy to behold.
Adam Collishaw (Curtis) is the baddie of the show, and he looks the part. Tall and imposing, you would not like to meet Adam, as Curtis naturally, in a dark alley!
I love the trio of henchmen who work for Curtis, Ray Samuel Mcleod (TJ) is great fun to watch - nice to see he stole some of my dance moves. Liam Arthur Petruccio-Hall (Joey) and Patrick McChrystal received a massive round of applause with their song "Lady In The Long Black Dress", which is one of my favourite songs from this show
Stan Cook (Eddie), who I last saw as Romeo in "Romeo & Juliet", channels a bit of a romeo in this role as well. I loved his main song "I Could Be That Guy", and the staging of this number was done really well with the costume changes. I won't spoil it for you if you plan to see the show on Saturday, but it's different to how I've seen it done in the past. Stan has an old school voice and suits this song well, and it's always good to see a character go from zero to hero and get the girl at the end.
I feel that I need to mention all of the ensemble and others individually so here goes; Harriet Hopkins (Sister Mary Martin of Tours), Laura Ellis (Sister Mary Teresa), Ellie Monterosso (Michelle), Beth Wear (Tina), Daisy Donoghue, Charlie Evans, Lucy Greig, Emma Gregory, Erin Hanby, Maddie Keown, Madelyn Pritchard, Lily Proudlove, Rachel Smith, Kemi Stewart, Zoe Turton, Tilly Wishart, Louis Barnes-cupitJonah Williams and Joseph Smith - who gets to play an altar boy, a policeman as well as a drag queen - I'm so impressed with his walking in those heels!
Directed by Matthew John and this is his first musical theatre piece he has directed; can I just say that this man can do anything he puts his mind to as this was a roaring success; that's all I need to say as it's well documented in past reviews just how high esteem I hold Matt. The legend that is Amanda Hall is producer for this show.
Sophie Petruccio-Hall also debuts as choreographer. Again Spotlight shows what an incredibly talented group of people they have. The choreography was spot on and very exciting to see this mass of people carrying out the dream of the choreographer. They made me want to dance.
Geoff Burnhill is Musical Director for this show and I love the soundtrack, and hearing this wonderful soundtrack by Alan Menkin and Glenn Slater played live, with such punch and clarity is all down to the Musical Director's hard work with the cast and his band.
Lighting Design is by Tom Mowat, so the lighting is guaranteed to be the best quality, which it is. Rob Kettridge is responsible for the Sound Design, again guaranteed to be crystal clear, which it was as I could hear every single word of this show.
There are many set changes in this show and the stage managers did a sterling job at getting all the bits and bobs on and off unobtrusively.
I've been very lucky lately to have been able to see several local theatre shows that have been on a par with any touring professional show. This is another one of them.
I sat in my seat with a fixed smile on my face all the way through, because that is what this show makes you do, smile! The story of belief in yourself and others and friendship makes you feel all warm inside, as if you're in an Andrex ad, but without the Labradors.
I made sure that I was first to my feet at the end and my lead was very quickly followed by every single person in that theatre. An audience who showed their appreciation of the talent on stage continuously throughout the evening.
I've had the pleasure of reviewing Spotlight shows for a few years now and every show is of an increasingly excellent standard. Forget the bar to be raised, Spotlight have bypassed that and left it behind and productions like this are of the standard that all local theatres should match or aim for.
As the prophet Hozier once said "Take Me To Church" because these sisters really rock!
“Sister Act” is at the Nottingham Playhouse until Saturday 13 July.

2 comments:

  1. Great review as always Kev.
    What can I say, only one word for this show, Sensational .
    Not only was the whole audience on their feet with a standing ovation at the finale, but I was actually moved to tears on three or four occasions during this wonderful show.
    To everyone involved a huge thank you.

    ReplyDelete