Thursday 20 June 2019

"From West End To West Gate" by The Young Performers.
The Duchess Theatre, Long Eaton.
For anyone who loves the music of the West End musical, this show is an absolute treat. The Young Performers perform songs from the best of the modern stage and classics from the last 20 to 30 years.
32 young singers, dancers and actors gave their all as they ploughed through selections from 20 musicals including "Wicked", "Rent", "Annie"."Les Miserables", "Spamalot", "Hairspray", "Mamma Mia" and "Shrek".
I loved it that they also included selections from today's biggest West End musicals such as "Waitress", "There's Something About Jamie", "Hamilton", "Heathers", "Dear Evan Hansen" and "School Of Rock". My favourite new musical was also included "Something Rotten", which I have been banging on about for about four years now.
The songs were interspersed with splashes of comedy from two of the Young Performers. Almost like a continued thread of a young couple seeing as many West End musicals as they can in one day, they kept the audience entertained while the scene changes were going ahead behind the curtain.
The large ensemble of performers were choreographed by Vicky Byrne and Lauren Riley and covered a variety of styles.
A simple set that looked great and worked well as the back drop for the props used to enhance the performances, i.e. the tables and chairs in "School Of Rock", "Jamie" etc.
The four piece band were on stage, partly hidden behind two large flaps that when raised revealed the band and then closed to create the back drop. Musically Directed by George Parkinson, they provided a powerful backing which was well balanced with those singers who had radio mics and in ensemble numbers, when it sounded positively choral. There were only a few bits that were lost due to the singers not being mic'd up. that's something that can't be helped.
The show was directed by Zak Charlesworth, assisted by Tricia Freer. Zak himself has created several shows similar to this to raise funds for various local charities, so it was no surprise that everything ran smoothly.
I knew every song performed, so will pick out a few of my highlights. I have always loved "Seasons Of Love" for the harmonies, and this highlighted just how good this group are in that field.
"She Used To Be Mine" from "Waitress" has become one of my favourite ballads, as was "You Don't Know This Man" from "Parade" and "You Will Be Found" from "Dear Evan Hansen"
"Hamilton" is one of those marmite musicals. I hate marmite but love "Hamilton" with its' hip hop/rap soundtrack - there are also some lovely ballads in the soundtrack as well - and this group were feisty and really impressive in the "Hamilton" section.
There was a brilliant close to Act One with two from "Hairspray", and quite ironic that they stopped at that stage with "You Can't Stop The Beat". They also had a brilliant closer to the show with "I'm A Believer" from "Shrek".
I used to send my wife crazy singing "I'm A Believer", so much so that she said that she would leave me if I didn't stop singing that song. Well, I didn't take her seriously, and then I saw her face......
And on that note, it's time to pretend that I am Dave Martin and bring the lights down on my stand up career and to remind you that "West End To West Gate" - great title for the show by the way is at the Duchess Theatre, Long Eaton until Saturday 22 June
I spotted many talented stars of the future tonight, so pop along and do some star gazing of your own.
I thank you and Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment