Thursday 27 June 2019

“Chicago – High School Edition” by Bright Lights Theatre School
Loughborough Town Hall
You can’t beat a bit of razzle dazzle on a week night can you? And that is exactly what you get with Bright Lights Theatre School’s latest show, “Chicago”. There are a few subtle changes to this show from the full blown show, only because of the age of the actors involved, but this is full on fun, glitz and glamour from these youngsters.
Although the story is the same every night, every night the audience will see a different cast, all I imagine will be just as fantastic as the one that I saw on Thursday night.
“Chicago” is the story of Roxie Hart who is put into prison for shooting her lover and how infamy can soon turn to fame through the media, especially when you have a big shot lawyer like Billy Flynn on your side. Everyone’s fame though has a shelf life as Roxie, and her fellow inmate, Velma, soon discover.
BrightLights Theatre School is a Performing Arts School for 5-18 year olds, and it always amazes me at the talent these youngsters have, and of course the talents of all young performers across the East Midlands.
You can tell that these actors love what they are doing by the way that they perform and their smiles when they are taking their bows.
Beth York (Velma), Joseph Barber (Fred Casely), Eryn Stevenson (Roxie), Jack Lee (Amos Hart), Lucy Clay (Mama Morton) and Charan Kalair (Billy Flynn) were all excellent in their roles. I'd not seen a High School Edition of "Chicago" before, and it felt a little like "Bugsy Malone" - one of my all time favourite films.
A massive ensemble who worked really well together, and some really young members in the ensemble, showing some great talent with all of those dance steps and song lyrics to remember I am so jealous of your talent.
I've never known a show go so fast; even though it was two hours from start to end with interval,I had to check the time when the final bows were taken as this lot just made the time fly. And that is due to some brilliant performances.
I loved Beth and Eryn's final glitzy set, and those costumes were amazing and so eye catching.
I loved the wonderful character acting by Joseph who threw himself totally into the role of Fred Casely.
I think we all felt for Jack as Amos with his beautifully performed "Mr Cellophane" and then when he asked for his end music and.... well i won't spoil that one!. This role is, I think under rated but when it's done as well as Jack did it, it makes it memorable.
Lucy, as Mama Morton, provided some powerful vocals and just the right amount of sauce.
Charan was very charismatic and cool as Flynn and looked like he was loving being the man all the ladies loved, Oh and that golden jacket, I want one in my size. His duet with Eryn in "We Both Reached For The Gun" was a magical piece of choreography which they performed superbly.
Talking of choreography, Sophie Kandola did an incredible job with this group. I can imagine they are all like little sponges, soaking up everything. the dancing was spectacular.
Before I forget, I must also mention the young man who, in Act Two, was in the Court scene and was questioning Amos when in the dock. I'm sorry I don't know your name but you are a star in the making. Incredible confidence and character acting.
I love this soundtrack with it’s Broadway stylings of “All That Jazz”, “Razzle Dazzle”, “When You’re Good To Mama”, “Cell Block Tango”, “All I Care About”, “Roxie” and the frantic but fun “We Both Reached For The Gun” Musical Director for this show is Kieran Buckeridge and the sound mix was really good for such a large theatre, and I was sat near the back.
Brilliant lighting design (Dave Fadesco) and while there were some bits I couldn't quite hear, mainly down to projection, which is something that will come naturally in time, the sound was really well balanced (Mood Productions). A wonderful set design and some amazing costumes (Kathy Wright)
Directed by Alexander Turner and Produced by Nick Sutcliffe and Patrick Croft, this another success to add to the list of successes. I know that everyone behind putting this show together will be incredibly proud of every single one of these young people on the Town Hall stage, and rightly so.
Go and support this very talented group and their talented teachers, and add some razzle dazzle into your life in time for the weekend.
“Chicago” is at Loughborough Town Hall until Sunday 30 June

No comments:

Post a Comment