Saturday 7 October 2023

 "A Good Neet Aht" by Phil Green.

Derby Theatre Studio .


I had been told just what a good comedy show that this is, so I popped over to derby to see. Well, the comments I'd had were seriously under stated.

Here's a comedy show that is unlike any other I'd attended and I'll tell thee why, me duck!

Regionalised comedy can be a niche area, but this seam of comedy that Phil mines is so rich, using his own experiences of growing up as source material is going to make a show like this unique.

He talks about his first kiss, as well as his second kiss, his "under 16's" disco days, unvoluntary bodily actions, his family occasions, complete with various family members serenading everything from Tom Jones' "Delilah" to Mario Lanza's "Be My Love". We also get to hear Phil's vocals during the show.


On particular part of the show which really took me back to my childhood was the scene regarding the old TV programme from the 1970's called "The Comedians", which I was allowed to stop up and watch. Phil did a comic routine within his show that, without actually saying who the Northern comedians were, left us in no doubt to whom Phil was referencing. Audience members of a certain age, like myself, automatically recognised the styles of comedy. And if they didn't, the comedians, who I fondly recall as being two of the best, are name-checked in the programme.


We had reconstructions of retro beer ads from the TV performed live, and if you took notice of the literature on the table, there were even more references to the great Northern comedians.

There were examples of the North/South divide, especially in those surveys that we're all tempted to fill out, with hilarious results that bear no resemblance to your real life status.

And weaving these, and many more subjects together, takes a great story teller; someone who can paint pictures with just words. I love story telling, especially when the orator is as talented as Phil.


We had music, costume changes and wonderful vintage films proving that Liverpool didn't have all the best comics.

The show only lasted 75 minutes, but every minute was filled with chucklesome material, and the close of the show came far too soon, leaving myself, and I imagine the rest of the audience wanting more.

To quote Phil, and to credit his production team, "all things technical was thanks to Will Hall. The set Construction was by Daniel Ellis.

Phil promised us a good neet aht, and boy did we get exactly that.

No comments:

Post a Comment