Friday 8 July 2022

 "Into the Woods" by Spotlight Theatre Company.


Stephen Sondheim's classic musical created around some of the most well-known fairy tale characters created by the Brothers Grimm.
The musical is tied together by a story involving a childless baker and his wife and their quest to begin a family (the original beginning of the Grimm Brothers' "Rapunzel"), their interaction with a witch who has placed a curse on them, and their interaction with other storybook characters during their journey.
I could just sum the whole show up with one word; and that word is not "Agony". No! not at all but "PERFECT". This production could be transported to one of the London stages and would be a sell-out, it is that good, no not good, PERFECT!
It's a long show at around about three hours with an interval but it's worth every penny of it for very minute this ridiculously talented group are on stage.

Sondheim's score is so difficult to get right; ask anyone who has performed it and they will tell you. The timing has to be split second with the rhythm and words, and with this group not one beat was missed and the timing was perfection.
The whole cast work so well as an ensemble that it's incredibly hard to pick out any favourites, but I will anyway. Here's the whole cast list, who I am sure all deserve a very large glass of liquid, of some description, after this musical masterpiece of mirth, menace and melody.

Katie Inglis (The Stepmother/Ensemble), Lizzie Fenner (Cinderella), Mike Pearson (Cinderella's Father/Mysterious Man), Ella Greenwood (Cinderella's Mother/Snow White/Giant), Poppy Cook (The Narrator), Stan Cook (Jack), Joe Butler (Jack's Mother/Ensemble), Daisy Donohue (Milky White), Sam Barson (Baker) - who has the most incredible voice and stage presence, Samantha Hedley (Baker's Wife), Emily-Hope Wilkins (Rapunzel), Eva Sheppard (Little Red Riding Hood) - who really made me chuckle, Michael Radford (Wolf/Cinderella's Prince/Ensemble) - who as the wolf was the perfect creepy sleazeball, Oliver Halford (Rapunzel's Prince/Ensemble) - the two Princes were brilliantly tuned to each other and were a comedy pairing made in heaven, highlighted by their song "Agony", and I swear that the two young ladies who sat behind me were swooning every time either of them walked on stage. Lucy Gazzard (Granny/Ensemble), Ella Monterosso (Florinda/Ensemble), Katie Faulkner (Sleeping Beauty/Ensemble), Meghan Leahy (Lucinda/Ensemble), Lottie Allsopp (Steward/Ensemble) and, I am sorry to say that I had a favourite out of all of these talented young people, Danielle Easter (Witch).

I know that I am not alone in thinking this as some of the people I spoke to in the interval also felt the same way about Danielle. Her character voice was like Eartha Kitt with the growl and her singing voice was wonderful. I saw Danielle when she came out after the show, and I was so tempted to go up to her and say how wonderful I thought her performance was, and then bottled it; I think I'm a little bit starstruck with Danielle, and I don't get that too often!

Directed by Cassie Hall, who I got the chance to chat to after the show, to tell her what a brilliant production it was and what an incredible job she had done. She and her family and cast and crew must be so proud of this production. Everything about this production was, OK I have to use that word again.... Perfect.
Musical Director was Sam Griffiths, who also did the honours for "Little Shop Of Horrors" earlier on this week, as well as "Madagascar" in Long Eaton last week. With talent like his, no wonder he is in such demand. A faultless musical presentation by a talented bunch of musicians.

Choreography was by Emma Gregory, so again, if you've got one of the best in your fold, you get the best results. Nuff said!
Sound Design was by Rob Kettridge and Lighting Design by Oliver Read, they put not a foot, or a finger wrong in both departments.
You can see the size of the cast so stage management is going to be an equally big job, and I can imagine quite stressful, so I must mention Bronwen Webster and Nigel Newton and give credit for the incredible job they did.

Needless to say that the costume department would have worked overtime with all of these marvellous costumes for this show.
Not only was this a wonderful night show wise, but it was also lovely to catch up with several people I've not seen for years, and some I've only ever seen on the stage. Rubbing shoulders with so many talented and lovely people, I live in hope of some of their talent rubbing off on me.
I came to the theatre expecting a wonderful nights' entertainment, but this show has actually exceeded all my expectations on every level.
You really must go and see this show because excitement and talent like this on a local level needs to be supported and maintained, and that can only happen from supporting local drama groups. It's a perfect way to spend an evening out, in the woods.
"Into the Woods" is at the Nottingham Arts Theatre only until Sunday 10 July.

No comments:

Post a Comment