Friday 26 March 2021

 "A Virtual Vanya" based on "Uncle Vanya" by Anton Chekhov.

Lace Market "Virtual" Theatre.
I will start off by saying that I am not the biggest fan of Chekhov's plays, and while not looking to being converted, I was looking forward to seeing something different and something that I had not seen before.
Translated and adapted by Cynthia Marsh from Chekhov’s "Uncle Vanya", Cynthia also directed the play.
The relevance to today’s current experience is an interesting point. The constrictions, the remoteness of Russian rural life set in 1895 affected mental health, finances, ambitions and relationships. And this play is all about relationships, which I found the most interesting aspect, maybe because the relationships twisted and turned and affected every one of the characters.
Vanya and his niece Sonya manage the family estate to support Sonya’s father, a professor named Serebryakov, and his younger second wife, Elena in the capital. Vanya’s sole friend Astrov, a doctor, struggling against rural poverty and peasant ill-health.
The professor retires. He and his wife come ‘home’. We find out which characters have feelings for each other and many home truths are revealed throughout.
The family, holed up together, have their emotions stretched, and when the Professor gathers them all together for a family meeting about the future, the fragility of them all come to the surface with an explosive result.
I've never really seen Chekhov as a writer of comic scenes but I found quite a bit of this play to be quite funny. The part where Sonya tests the waters for the Doctor's affections is almost like a schoolgirl , asking for a friend. And then when Elena acts as a go between for Sonya, under the premise of showing interest in the good doctor's maps is a lovely pair of mirthful scenes.
The cast are wonderful and kept my interest throughout.
Chris Sims
- the doctor, Daniel Bryant - a wonderful Vanya,
Anne Mccarroll
- Sonya, Charlotte Thomas - Elena, Dot Barlow - Marina, the family Nanny - who reminded me so much of a young Thora Hird, and David Dunford as the Professor.
Being made for a virtual piece of theatre, the technical presentation was absolutely brilliant and Matt Alcock did an amazing job.
Production Manager was Phillip Hogarth.
Cynthia Marsh directed, translated and adapted the piece, and I think that along with the great cast, this excellent technical team may just have converted me to Chekhov as I really enjoyed this dysfunctional family that Chekhov created.
I will admit that the different backdrops within the Zoom presentation did make it difficult to imagine that all the members were supposed to be in the same room, but there's nothing you can do about that. This also makes continuity a tad difficult as well, again, there is not a lot that can be done about that either.
It's just great that we can get to see live theatre again, and I can only imagine that with this being presented live, it gave Cynthia, as Director, probably just a few more headaches than if it were set on stage in the theatre itself. I can honestly say, the headaches were well worth it, Cynthia.
I have been told that the translation has stripped down a lot of the play and if that is the case, I am all for it, as I grew to really enjoy this production the more the play progressed. So much so that I gave a virtual standing ovation at its' closure.
"A Virtual Vanya" is available to see until Sunday 28 March by visiting the Lace Market website to book your ticket. Any Chekhov sceptics or non fans, please take a look at this as I believe that you, like me, may just be converted. Chekhov fans will not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment