Thursday 24 October 2019

“Two Trains Running” by August Wilson
Derby Theatre
The play takes place in the Hill District, an African-American neighbourhood in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1969. It explores the social and psychological manifestations of changing attitudes toward race from the perspective of urban blacks.
Andrew French (Memphis) plays the owner of the diner that has fallen on hard times. he is holding out for a suitable price to sell, but no one is offering what he wants. Memphis has dreams of setting up a bigger restaurant with more than the one staff he has but first he needs the money to do that, and in this air of unrest, will his dream become a reality?
Geoff Aymer (West) plays the undertaker, and even though he is kept fairly busy, it doesn't pay as we find out in Act Two.
Anita-Joy Uwajeh (Risa) is the put upon only member of staff at the restaurant. We find out she has a few issues which also reveal the answer to the question as to why she doesn't have a man in her life.
Leon Herbert (Holloway) is the wise man of the play, dishing out the level headed words of wisdom.
Derek Ezenagu (Hambone) for me was the character that I was drawn to. Hambone has mental health issues whose kind nature was abused when he painted a fence for the promise of a ham bone, which never materialised. This act tortured him and we get to see the lengths it tortured him as well as the raections of the various characters in the restaurant.
Ray Emmet Brown (Wolf) plays the "fly guy" of the piece; ducking and diving and using the restaurant as the contact point for his "business", which only acts to wind up Memphis. Loved Wolf's outfits.
Michael Salami (Sterling Johnson) starts off as the stranger in town, looking for a job in the local area. he also has his sights, not just on a job, but also on Risa.
The beautiful and intricate set design is by Frankie Bradshaw. there is so much to look at on this set, and you can spot every prop that you would expect to see in such an establishment as this.
Directed by Nancy Medina, the play is a pacy one, but there's a lot of script to fit in a show that lasts just under three hours, including the interval. It finally slowed a little in Act Two when we hear of some sad news, which i won't spoil if you're planning to see the play.
I will admit that the play didn't evoke as much emotion from me as I was expecting and didn't seem to go anywhere for me. It was like I was given a three hour snapshot of the life of a down on its heel restaurant and the regular clientele, who seemed to pay for their food very rarely. Possibly the reason why it was going under.
The acting was powerful but for me I needed a start and an end, which for me was not defined enough. There was one riot which happened outside the stage set in Act Two, which was all done by sound effects and lights to depict police lights,and the fear and racism for me needed more definition to affect my feelings for the characters.
I was almost tempted to leave after Act One as I was getting nothing from the play, but for a few reasons I didn't. I know that many plays at first viewing can be slow burners and Act two can normally be better- it was slightly, thanks to the Hambone storyline and the romance that blossomed between two of the characters. I'm also pretty hardcore and don't like to give up on a play, and like to prove myself wrong.
Not only that but the large Derby Theatre was only about a quarter full,and when a theatre is of the size of Derby Theatre, I didn't want to add to the empty seats. I did notice that several people either moved about with the choice of seats available, or just didn't come back after the first Act.
What I did love though was the music featured in the play and in the interval. They used the music of Otis Redding, Nina Simone, John Lee Hooker and Aretha Franklin and this all added to the feel of the era; so there were a few positives I found within this production.
“Two Trains Running” is at Derby theatre until Saturday 26 October

No comments:

Post a Comment