Thursday 4 April 2019

“Stags & Hens” by Willy Russell
Nottingham New Theatre
Unknown to each other, Linda and Dave have decided to have their respective hen and stag parties in the same tacky Liverpool club – or more accurately, in its toilets. With the girls applying make-up, doing their hair and crying in cubicles, and the boys puking into the lavatory and drawing on the walls, the whole of Stags and Hens takes place in the Ladies and Gents.
Both parties are out on the pull, after a night (or even just a few minutes) of passion – with the exception of the groom, who is throwing up after the curry, and the bride, who is having second thoughts. Russell’s raucous, coarse, and very funny play is a brilliant depiction of what passes for courtship, and the squeals, jeers and flings considered a necessary prelude to getting married.
This is an ideal play for a theatre group like the NNT as the ages in the play are practically the same as these actors, so straight away there is a connection between character and actor.
Anyone who knows me, knows that my favourite play is "Blood Brothers", also written by Willy Russell, and I love this play because of the realism and grittiness, as well as the accuracy of the well observed characters. That is also the reason why I now love this play, and this is the first time that I have seen this play.
A big cast full of warm and colourful characters, who everyone will identify with at least one of them. Not only are the characters colourful, but so is the language! I did say that i loved the realism.
Linda - The bride on her hen party - played by Lillian Race, Maureen – Linda’s friend, played by Kate O'Gorman, Bernadette – Nicola Lang, Carol – Sally Nesbitt and Frances – Linda’s best friend, played by Ellie Roberts are just wonderfully brash,and while I loved all of these characters, I confess that I so have a soft spot for Maureen, the emotional drunk and Kate, for me excelled in this drunken role.
Dave, the stag – unconscious for the duration of the play – is played by NNT newcomer Jacob Jones, who also doubles as the roadie.
Eddy – the pompous, big headed, misogynistic bully – played by Reilly Salmon, Robbie – Eddie’s right hand man – played by Jack Ellis, Billy – Jonny Khan, Kav – Arthur Mckechnie and Peter – the lead singer of the band due to play at the club, who is a local boy turned good, because he once appeared on Top Of The Pops and has met Elvis (Costello) and Van McCoy, who also just happens to have had an intimate relationship with Linda a few years ago, is played by Jake Levy
Once again, brilliant casting for all of stags; I really could not pick any one of these over the other as being a favourite character, and yes, in my youth, I can say that I have known people exactly like these lot. Brilliant fun.
I think the girls had the slight edge over the lads in the accent stakes, but that didn't matter because we all think we can do a scouse accent, well de do dough don't deh? Keeping it constant over 105 minutes, like any accent, isn't as easy as it first sounds, so I doff my cap to you all.
Director Chloe Richardson and Producer Tara Phillips have done a brilliant job on this one, they could not have done more, and they have surrounded themselves with not only a great cast but a host of very talented other people.
The set (Annie Clayton) is a wonderful split male and female toilets with corridor between, and the doors into the club from this setting tempt you through them with splashes of disco lights and blasts of 70's disco music with every opening of the doors. Though why record covers of Charley Pride, Billy Connolly and Jack Jones would be seen plastered to toilet walls, I'm not sure about that.
The Lighting Designer, Cameron Brett and Sound Design by the demon of the decks, Rohan Rakhit made me want to take myself back a few decades and strut through those doors to boogie on the dance-floor, such was the atmosphere they created between them.
I almost forgot to mention the costumes, and this is where the lads win the stakes over the girls. They brought back many teenage fashion faux pas' for me, especially Robbie's suit - I had one just like that when I was sixteen - Brilliant research and sourcing for all the costumes.
I love this play, I love Willy Russell's wit and writing and I love this production and goes to show that NNT, when they do comedy, they really nail it, basically the same as whatever they do, they nail it.
I was so pleased that the theatre was practically full because this is a wonderful piece of theatre and having a talented cast and crew just places the cherry on top of a really tasty cake.
If you can, pay a visit to the Nottingham New Theatre on the University campus, because this play is a slice of comedy genius. I'm just wondering now though if Billy's braces will steal the scene every night!
“Stags & Hens” is at the Nottingham New Theatre until Saturday 6 April .

No comments:

Post a Comment