Saturday 20 October 2018

"70th Anniversary Concert"
Nottingham Arts Theatre.
I was very privileged this afternoon to spend almost four hours watching rehearsals for this show. I hadn't realised what a lot of spadework goes into the set up, preparation, lighting and sound as well as stage management goes into a show of this magnitude. So many different societies on one stage, but oh so much talent.
You know when, as a parent, you have a child taking part in their first school nativity, well that was my sense of pride in the performers that I knew in this spectacular showcase. By the way, I didn't have any of my kids in the show, but I felt that sense of pride.
In rehearsals you see the acts and groups not in costume but running through their bits, but as I wasn't free for the evening show, it gave me a feel of what was to go down in the evening. There were a few pieces that at rehearsals didn't go down maybe as well as expected, but that's what rehearsals are for, to iron out the rough spots to be perfect on the night. And on the night everything was made good.
Luckily I managed to catch most of the second act on the night after dashing off to see another production. I had to get back at least to catch the incredible finale I'd witnessed in rehearsals.
There were no songs from "Grease" the musical featured in this showcase, but yesterday afternoon and evening I had chills that were multiplying, for several reasons.
It's like someone had looked into my collection of favourite musical numbers and created the show around them because one by one the songs that gave me shivers were delivered on stage.
"Do You Hear the People Sing" from Les Miserables, "This Is the Moment" and "Confrontation" from Jekyll & Hyde, "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" from The Sound Of Music, "Gethsemane" from Jesus Christ Superstar, "Tell Me It's Not True" from Blood Brothers, "These Are My Children" from Fame, "Anthem" from Chess, "Petrified" from Taboo and an incredible full ensemble piece finale of "This Is Me" from The Greatest Showman, every one gave me goosebumps.
The contributing companies showcasing their huge talents were People's Theatre Company, Vibez Danceworks, Arabesque Academy, Medicine Performing Arts, Pantomime 2017, Nottingham Arts Theatre Summer School, Nottingham theatre Dance School, Class Act, Spotlight Theatre and Blind Eye Productions.
Performers I've seen many times joined forces with groups and other singers and actors that were new to me, especially the dance groups who were out of this world.
Voices I'd heard many times in the past sounded stronger, richer and more powerful than ever.
I knew that because of the size of this cast I wouldn't be spotlighting any individuals, because I felt that not fair as everything I saw this afternoon and this evening proved to me what an incredible amount of talent Nottingham has on their local stages. No wonder I feel so proud to be able to witness these performers, young and , not as young.
In the afternoon, I got the time to say hello to several of the people I know from the show, and I think you all know the esteem I hold you all in, that's why I don't need to highlight you.
Not just the performers though need thanking but the lighting, sound, director, producer, compiler, front of house staff, stage management and the compere for the evening BBC Radio Nottingham presenter, John Holmes. All added to the smooth running and pizazz of an incredible celebration of Nottingham's Arts Theatre and the talent that Nottingham local stages produce every week of the year.
If this show isn't proof that you should support local theatre, and not just in Nottingham, then I don'y know what more proof you need.
I was proud to be the solo person to give these stars a richly deserved standing ovation at the end of the explosive finale of "This Is Me".
Thank you for giving me a night I won't forget in a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment