Monday 9 July 2018

"Ghost Lights"
Nottingham Arts Theatre.
Being a total believer and having had experiences of a supernatural nature several times in my life, this walk through the Nottingham Arts Theatre was right up my theatrical aisle.
Now I am not going to recount any of the stories that out host told because he was such an accomplished story teller that he kept you completely enthralled and under his spell.
I thought I knew a lot about the theatre and superstitions but tonight I learnt so much. This walk through the theatre not only recounted unexplained stories, as well as several stories that could be explained, but loads of stuff about the theatre, the workings of a theatre and theatre folk. Folklore, myths and legends of days gone by that send the hairs on your neck standing to attention.
It is also a wonderful insight to the workings of a modern theatre with visits to the dressing rooms, and I learned the correct way to enter a dressing room. Anyone who, like I, love the theatre will be fascinated by these stories of the auditorium, the Green Room, rehearsal room,the cat on the stairs, the mystery of the dressing room mirrors and other parts of the theatre.
When you first enter into the auditorium, which I have been in many many times before a show, tonight in the dark, illuminated by just one light the "ghost light", the whole feel of the area changed, and I certainly would feel uneasy spending the night in the dark in the theatre.
Tony, our host and narrator, is a wonderful painter of pictures and creates just the right atmosphere, and I for one will be keeping an extra eye out the next time that I come to the Nottingham Arts Theatre.
The Ghost Lights tour takes place every second Monday of the month and is a must for anyone interested in the theatre as well as the unexplained. The tour is limited to 20 people and bookings can be made through the Nottingham Arts Theatre website.

No comments:

Post a Comment