Saturday 17 March 2018

"Mystery Magic and Mayhem" by Musicality.
Studio Live Nottingham University.
What I love about showcases like this is that i always come away from them with something I've not heard before or something that I've not heard in a very long time. This was true on both accounts with this particular showcase put on by Musicality at Nottingham University.
The programme was well put together and included pieces from older musicals like "Chess" ( I Know Him So Well), "Les Miserables" (Who Am I), "West Side Story" (Gee Officer Krupke) and "Footloose" (Holding Out For A Hero) as well as a very modern selection of pieces from some of my favourite newer soundtracks like "Dear Evan Hansen", "The Greatest Showman", "Kinky Boots" and "Hamilton".
The theme of the night was Mystery, Magic and Mayhem and this ran through the musicals theme or the songs that were performed, so it was no mystery to me why this evening was so magical, with no sign of mayhem at all.
Linking the performances together was master of ceremonies Jake Gelernterwho sprinkled his own comic touches to the evening as well as performing as part of the ensemble and solo with "Who Am I" from "Les Mis".
The evening opened and closed with full ensembles and in between we were treated to solos, duos, trios as well as group numbers, showing the variety within Musicality.
I'd not heard "Times Are Hard For Dreamers" from "Amelie" so this was my educational addition, Charlotte Mann performed this song with such feeling, she made me want to find out more about the musical and get a copy of the song and the soundtrack. She sold it to me good and proper.
I love the "Hamilton" soundtrack and Claire Wimbush and Matt Talbotperformed "That Would Be Enough". This duo made me think that they would be perfect to perform Jason Robert Brown's "The Last Five Years" because they sounded good together and had the right chemistry for this musical. Just a thought!!
I've heard several versions of "I Know Him So well" but Eleni Kite and Bethany Ward performed this song so well, it felt like the first time that I'd heard it.
Another wonderful duet was "In His Eyes" from "Jekyll & Hyde" by Becky Fryza and Megan Smith.
Loved the fun in the dance section to "My Strongest Suit" from the Tim Rice/Elton John musical "Aida" chotrographed by Rowena Fry and Sophie Mitchell. "Requiem" from "Dear Evan Hansen" performed by Charlotte HowarthRhodri Denton and Emily Dervey gave us something to think about. Comedy was also highlighted in "The Negative" from "Waitress" played out by Bryony Kirby, Rowena Fry and Adaeze Olugbemi.
Looking down the programme I saw "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked" and my first thoughts were that this song is such a big one that it's going to need someone who can really pull this off or else it could be a disaster. I really need not have been worried because Siska Yustina absolutely nailed it. Kerry Ellis watch out!
Mix in songs from "Shrek", "Spring Awakening", "Tangled", "Anastacia","Avenue Q", "Beauty & The Beast" and "The Little Mermaid" and you have a greatest hits of classic and modern musical theatre.
"Mystery, Magic and Mayhem" is on again Sunday 18 March 2018 and monies raised will help to fund the Fringe show that Musicality are taking to Edinburgh this year "Ordinary Days"
I'd have loved to have been able to say thanks to everyone personally for a wonderful evening of entertainment but with such a large group of people involved, I may have been there a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment